Monday, January 5, 2009

Paraphernalia, Tools and Team Pt 1

I might have started the kebun project, however I was supported by a team of people who contributed their respective time and energy to make the kebun what it is so far. My mother, for one, is the reason and spirit behind the project. She used to reminiscence of the old good days when she work in the kebuns like this one some 40 years ago, and wish to have her own durian and rambutan trees for her grandchilden... Due to her vast experience, she automatically became the supervisor of the project. She is frail and do not have much energy, so I am the energy part of the project... She taught me how to cut tress for instance, so now I have the skills to cut a sizeable tree properly (about 2' dia.) and "plan" for where it eventually fall. Not to mention the "mass falling" technique... Now, that is something I am quite certain that many of you don't know hihih...

While their children are not quite interested with the project, my 2 brothers would lend their hands whenever they can, after work or during weekend. So does my sister in law...

After the experience in the kebun todate, I now appreciate the accessories and tools so much more than I would imagine... And also appreciate my mother more for all her hard works in her younger days, working with bare ands and minimum tools... While most of the tools were bought from hardware shops in Balok, I also bought some from Kemaman.




Now i know why Phua Che Kang can't leave home without it! Once you are in it, there is no terrain you dare not enter. Surprisingly comfortable, I confidently work in the swamp or in tall grass... Btw, I also have another pair, yellow color, just like Chu Kang's... hehehe




So common, and taken for granted. Not anymore, as I appreciate every pair of it for keeping my hands clean and protected from small thorns and splinters and mosquitoes...




Surely not trying to be fashionable (I wish they do not paint the flowers on it), this one protects me from rain and shine and ppl's glare... hehehehe





This is the first parang I used to cut the trees. Thin, sharp, lightweight and surprisingly sturdy. Bought in Kemaman hardware shop. Handy with crawling wines as well...




I bought this one just outside Kemaman Wet Market - while the parang is quite common nowadays, it's the sheath that I was for... Rarely you can find the "sarung" anymore - I suspected this one is made of jack fruit wood, going by its color and texture. Note also the knots on the "belt" - my mother tied it for me... Handy when you want to have both hands for other things...

No comments: